In Vivo Services
As a leading CRO for CNS drug development, QPS Austria is the premier provider for services with transgenic animals. The enterprise gained experience in generating, characterizing and maintaining transgenic disease models and using them for drug testing projects for more than 15 years.
The mouse and rat models available for drug development in Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), Parkinson’s Disease (PD), Huntington’s Disease (HD), Niemann-Pick Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) , Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Schizophrenia, Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration (FTLD), and other neurodegenerative diseases allow the quantitative evaluation of compound interactions with amyloid, tau, inflammation related markers, mitochondrial deficiency and other pathologies.
We provide fast in-house processing by experienced and well-trained staff, and work with highly reliable shipping companies to guarantee safe transfer of your valuable animals and samples.
We are happy to receive any inquiry to elaborate the most efficient way, including behavioral, immunohistochemical, biochemical and molecular biological techniques, for the support of your drug development approach.
Our biobank can provide samples (brain tissue, CSF, etc.) of our animal models for analyses in your laboratory.
Breeding & Aging
Just discuss your needs with us, and we take care of your mice and rat breeding needs. Ship your own rodent model to us or decide for one of our life stock rodent models. Upon request we breed as many rodents as needed for your experiments. Once breeding is completed animals can be aged in house as long as demanded. Afterwards, animals can either be shipped to you or can be used in-house for studies according to your study needs.
Animal breeding and maintenance is performed by our trained animal keepers. Health monitoring is continuously performed by our in-house veterinarian.
Our expertise covers a wide range of treatment techniques in mice and rats that include the following routes but are not limited to them:
- Oral (Gavage, via food pellets or drinking water)
Anesthesia / Surgeries
- Implantation of osmotic pumps
- Stereotactic injections into hippocampus, cortex, ventricle, striatum or almost any other brain region to inject:
- Test items
- Viruses (S2)
In Vivo Sampling
Staining Techniques and Applications
We routinely perform in vivo sampling of different mouse and rat material and tissue. Can’t find what you are looking for? We are constantly establishing new methods and would be glad to develop new methods according to your requirements.
- Mouth swabs
- Vena mandibularis bleeding
- Tail vein bleeding
- Heart puncture (terminal)
- Tail vein bleeding for immediate glucose measurements
We offer a wide range of behavioral tests for various indications. Most tests are evaluated using rater-independent digital animal tracking systems. Can’t find what you are looking for? We are constantly establishing new tests and would be glad to develop tests according to your requirements.
- General health tests: Irwin test, Open field test, Nest building test, Poke hole test, Ultra sound vocalization
- Cognitive tests: Morris water maze test, Contextual fear Conditioning test, Passive and active avoidance test, Two choice swim test, Y-maze test, Novel object recognition test, Barnes maze test
- Motor ability tests: RotaRod test, Pole test, Beam walk and challenging beam walk test, Pasta gnawing test, Wire hanging test
- Anxiety and depression tests: Elevated plus maze test, Marble burying test, Forced swim test, Novelty induced hypophagia
- Social behavior tests: Three chamber social test, Autogrooming, Reeperbahn test
- Lateral lesion tests: Rotation test, Corridor test, Corner turn test
Please visit our pages for behavioral testing for more detailed information.
Our tissue sampling team is highly trained to dissect a plethora of different tissues from mice and rats. Different euthanasia and perfusion methods can be performed depending on your experimental needs. Can’t find what you are looking for? We are constantly establishing new methods and would be glad to develop dissections according to your requirements.
- CNS, further dissected into:
- Olfactory bulb
- Thalamus /hypothalamus
- Spinal cord, spinal nerve root
- Cerebrospinal fluid
- Blood (plasma, serum)
- Liver and gall bladder
- Intestine (duodenum, jejunum, ileum, cecum, colon, rectum)
- Lung and trachea
- Skeletal muscles
- Bones and bone marrow
- Glands (mammary, salivary, pituitary ….)
- Testis and rete testis
- Ovary, oviduct, uterus and vagina
Statistics & Reporting
Statistical Data Analysis
- Professional statistical data analysis (unbiased and representative) of behavioral tests and body measurements performed by our team of scientists and biostatisticians
- Conscientious quality checks of measurements and results
Reporting of Experiments and Results
- At the end of each study a full study report including all experimental procedures, qualitative and quantitative assessment of the results, as well a comprehensive statistical analysis will be provided
- Constant updates throughout the study are provided if desired
We offer numerous well characterized disease models of different age groups, which we constantly validate and further analyze. The available mouse and rat models allow the quantitative evaluation of compound interactions with amyloid, tau, inflammation related markers, mitochondrial deficiency and other pathologies.
QPS Neuropharmacology provides a wide range of behavioral tests for various indications. Most tests are evaluated using rater-independent digital animal tracking systems. Can’t find what you are looking for? We are constantly establishing new tests and would be glad to develop tests according to your requirements.
Animal experiments performed at QPS Austria strictly adhere to Austrian and EU laws and regulations. All procedures are supervised by the Animal Care and Welfare Committee of QPS Austria and follow FELASA recommendations. The QPS Austria animal facility is fully accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC).