hA53Ttg mice express A53T mutant human α-synuclein under the control of the murine Thy-1 promoter. This line M53 is bred on a C57BL/6J background.
Animals present the following phenotype:
- 10-20-fold higher α-synuclein levels compared to wild type mice (Chandra et al.,2005)
- Motor deficits in the Rota Rod test at 6 months (Chandra et al., 2005; Rothman et al., 2013)
- Muscle weakness in the Wire Hanging test at ~ 8 weeks (Maki et al., 2019)
- Reduced anxiety in the Open Field and Elevated Plus Maze test starting at 10 and 14 weeks, respectively (Rothman et al., 2013)
- Mean survival of about 43 weeks (Chandra et al., 2005)
The phenotype described above reflects PD pathology and makes the hA53Ttg mouse a perfect model for your drug testing.